Tuesday, July 28, 2009

SharePoint Saturday, Baltimore

I finished my adventures in Baltimore over the weekend and wanted to give a shout out to the wonderful organizers, attendees, and fellow speakers. I had a great time and, once again, the SharePoint Saturday audience was the best audience ever. I wish I had had more time to teach more stuff. I'm really greatful for all the appreciation they showed for the work I was doing. It makes all those hours prepping content worth it.

Speaking of content, please stop back in a day or two as I will have (until it's posted on the SharePoint Saturday Baltimore site) the slides for the Dashboards session available for download. It'll be in PDF form, ready to be read like a tips and tricks, recipe book for my faithful attendees.

Thanks again for attending. In the future, barring unforeseen circumstances, I expect to be presenting at the DC, New York, Cleveland/Columbus, and Pittsburgh SharePoint Saturdays. I wanted to give you all a heads up, as the Baltimore event filled up 12 hours after registration opened.

Also, for those of you who end up wait-listed. There ended up being less people that expected by mid-day in Baltimore. Now the mechanism for keeping track varies by site, but for those of you waiting to see if you can get in on the day of the event-- if you're turned away in the morning, check back later, there may be an opening for you then. I felt really bad that there were people from my area that wanted to go, but stayed away because they weren't sure the drive would be worth being locked out anyway.

And for those of you who have never attended a SharePoint Saturday-- these events (as I listed under the Happenin' Things heading in the right column of this blog) are FREE for attendees. They are put together and offered by volunteers in locations all over the US, as well as abroad. Check out http://www.sharepointsaturday.org/ for more about all the events going on.

IF you find an event that you plan on attending-- register as soon as possible, because they are filling up as more people know they're happening. The sessions vary by location (depending on what presenters can attend). Methods concerning wait-listing, registering, location types, etc., also vary per site- so check that site's website for real details about the event.

The vast majority (if not all) of the presenters are MVPs, so the quality of these sessions is top notch. These things are not some cheesy, marketing oriented, low quality shlock. This is serious, grassroots, community oriented, free information sharing from those of us in the community who know SharePoint and believe that you should know it too. There's developer stuff, admin stuff, power user stuff, etc., depending on who's speaking there. Always check the particular SharePoint Saturday site's sessions to see what's happening that you'd like to learn.

And please remember, we the speakers are offering our services for free, at our own expense, at these events. We're are doing this for you between our day jobs and other commitments. So if you like what we're doing, please let us know. It's what makes it worth it, and encourages us to do it again at the next location. : )

BTW-- I started Twittering (is that the right word?) especially for the Baltimore event, but plan to keep twittering for all events I work from now on. If you'd like to follow me, my Twitter username is: cacallahan.

No comments: