Thursday, April 22, 2010

SharePoint Foundation RTM (and Designer too) available from public Microsoft download site

I told you that I'd let you know when the SPF bits would be available for download.

Oddly, although they are currently not available for paying TechNet subscribers, the whole world can download--

SharePoint Designer (32bit) (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=d88a1505-849b-4587-b854-a7054ee28d66)

SharePoint Foundation (only comes in 64bit) (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=49c79a8a-4612-4e7d-a0b4-3bb429b46595). Remember to check the system requirements on the download page to be sure you're ready to install.

I'll wait a few days for everyone to get the bits, then I will probably start posting bits and pieces about new things, things that bother me, gotchas, and general stuff about the book. : )

Mind you, I am going to be super busy trying to get all my chapters changed over to the RTM version of SPF, so bear with me if I lag here. I am probably going to be fairly distracted...

Edited to add--- By the way, SharePoint Designer comes in 64 bit or 32 bit flavors. That is important, since if you install SPD on a machine that is also running Office, the architecture has to match.

Right now the title of the page for both versions of SharePoint Designer is the same.

Here is the link for the 64 bit as it is at the time of this edit (4/22/10).  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=566d3f55-77a5-4298-bb9c-f55f096b125d.

The installer for the 32bit  version of SharePoint Designer is 254.1 MB.
The installer for the 64bit version is 279.0 MB.

Edited to add again (the day after): They have fixed the SharePoint Designer download page titles. They now read SharePoint Designer 2010 (XXbits-- depending on the page you go to).

It's the little things. : )

No comments: