Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Further adventures with blogging, search, and what *is* that smell?!

In my continued blogquest, I have been working primarily with this blog and my wordpress one.

Why? Because I really like their themes, but they are really having problems getting hits at google and dogpile.

What to do? What to do?

I've been trying to get them validated and added as websites to index via google's web site management tool. I've been trying to manage their pings, add them manually, work with technorati. But despite my best efforts, none of them work as well as livejournal. Nothing touches that site in terms of quick addition to just exactly the right search engines.

Meanwhile though I have learned that pingbacks are better than trackbacks. That using google's feed reader (googlereader) will help google realize your blog is out there and index it. That google goes at whatever the hell pace it wants to to index your site and unless you shell out some dough, there's nothing you can do about it.

There is such a thing as pingoat, which should, eventually help you let search engines know you are out there. Weblogs.com also helps. You can go to google directly to add your site (when they get around to it), as well as ping technorati. Dogpile will also help ping all the appropriate serch engines, for a pretty hefty fee.

Just wanted to update you on my continued attempts while trying to decide on the blogs I am keeping to record the adventures of a server grrl.

And I was just kidding about the smell.... ; )

I am adding this text: to see what happens. This is something I am supposed to add to a post to get it tagged by technorati... here goes

No comments: