Friday, January 1, 2010

Yay! I got renewed. SharePoint Services MVP 2010

Happy New Year everybody!

I hope you all had a great holiday season.

I just wanted to touch base and let you all know what's going on.

To start, I am beginning the first chapter of the Mastering SharePoint Foundation 2010 book this weekend/week. I'll be posting regularly to let you know how it's going. For those of you that I begged to help me, there may be emails in the near future with requests as to whether or not I am making sense with this or that, etc.. And for those of you who would like to help me with the book (in a purely voluntary capacity of course, book advances aren't what they used to be), feel free to comment here.

For most of December I was working on a Server 2008 R2 deep dive, Firestarter launch event. It had a lot of live demos and moving parts, and overall was crazy fun to do. If anyone needs a 2008 R2 launch event in their area, I am looking to do that sort of thing at least three times in 2010, so feel free to comment here (or contact my errata account).

It was fun to stop working on SharePoint for a moment and focus on my roots, the Server, for a little while. Especially now that I know more about Branch Caching than I ever expected to, LOL. It also gave me insights into some of the new features of WS08R2 that I otherwise wouldn't have messed with. I know I'll be rolling those new skills right into making the VMs for the book, and will probably find myself using them again and again throughout the year.

On to other news:

As a lot of you know, I was honored with the MVP award in SharePoint Services last year. However, that year was slated for other things, and I was really worried that I would not qualify for renewal this year.

You see, you get an MVP award if you prove you are an expert in a Microsoft product and you do a lot of work supporting the community with that expertise, like newsgroup answers, blogs, wikis, event presentations, podcasts, etc. You earn the award at a certain time, based on the work you did the year (12 months) before, and it's only valid for one year. I'd earned the award in 2009 for work I'd done in 2008 (and to be honest, in 2007 as well).

In order to keep your MVP (in otherwords, to be re-awarded), you have to continue to do community work (for free) throughout your award year.

The award is in effect for only one year (like Miss America). So if you want to be awarded the following year, you need to continue to work for it throughout the year as if you didn't have it yet, sort of working today to have the award tomorrow. And at the end of the year, you need see if what you'd been doing all year long was enough to keep your MVP status. It's sort of a leading game, where the work you did last year gets you an MVP for this year, which you need to work on to get renewed the following year, and so on.

I'd feared, because I was doing less written work, and more presentations, that I would not be renewed.

But, I guess I did enough presenting (about one event a month, ten months out of the year) and other work, to keep my MVP.

Yay!

I know there are folks out there that knew I was worried, and I wanted to reassure them that I will now be able to put that acronym on a book I'm writing for the first time. I am pretty happy about that.

Also, just for those who are interested, the publisher has informed me that the book will list my name as "Callahan" this time as well. Since that's what I go by, not "CA", it is a welcome change, and I look forward to seeing it. It's not often that a publisher will let you put a name on the cover that's only one word. So here's hoping it looks okay. : )

So that's my news for now. Currently I'm exploring what Business Data Connectivity (formerly Business Data Catalog) can actually do in SharePoint Foundations (WSS 4). It's been introduced in this version of SharePoint for the first time, with limitations. I am, of course, exploring what those limitations are, and we can do with what parts of BDC we do get. It's been a bit of an adventure, and I'll probably be writing a note or two about it soon.

2 comments: